Saturday, August 29, 2009

Stopping the Pain -- With Daily Inspirations


I have found the paradox,
that if you love until it hurts,
there can be no more hurt,
only more love.

Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa devoted her life to the dying and abandoned of Calcutta, India. What she sacrificed to be who she was had to have hurt tremendously on a human level. Yet what her words describe as her experience, strength, and hope, is that there is an overriding payoff for caring about others. I hear in her voice the impression that what active love and caring offers cannot be found any other way.

We can’t all love in such dramatic ways as she did, but we can love with similar intensities.

A spiritual person was asked by a lame beggar for money outside a temple. The spiritual person replied, “Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have, give I thee…” And as he lifted the man up, the lame man walked.

Love and caring is about what do I have, and what do others need. I have offered people that I cared about what I had and they have at times refused my gifts. To receive others love actually requires sometimes something more than need. The benefit of helping the poor and dying is that typically they are more willing to accept whatever is offered.

Ultimately the truest gifts of love are not material or financial. They are affirming and consistent presence – smiles, listening, attention, unconditional acceptance and admiration – the same gifts that my higher Presence gives me every day.

Life is so full of distractions that I can become lost in the details. And love involves exiting the details of life and becoming focused on others – for my own spiritual strength. They possess the hidden secrets to life, and as I have loved them, I have found my truest and best selves -- and joys that my human brain could not understand orcomprehend. My brain could only observe in puzzled awe.

Finding daily inspirations involves maintaining a clearness of focus that comes from consistent inspirational listening -- to inspirational words, readings, quotes, and to other people’s voices -- reminding us of the timeless Unseen Presence, who can only be experienced in intimate closeness – which begins in being present for others.


No comments:

Post a Comment